Friday, December 25, 2015

It's an Upside Down Merry Christmas

Christmastime has always stretched me a bit.

Financially, I tend to get caught up and caught behind in purchasing just the right gifts.

Emotionally, I have ALWAYS struggled when it comes to trying to make it to EVERYONE's Christmas celebrations, having to say no to some invites just in order to keep some sanity to the days. But then when I do say no, that sanity turns to feelings of guilt.

Spiritually, I sometimes struggle because when I get caught up in the financial and emotional strain, I lose sight of the true meaning of the season.

So every day this season, I have tried to just flip this scene upside down.

"But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born.'"
Luke 2:10

I'm focusing on the good news.
The great joy.


And it is hard to admit this, but it isn't easy to apply this upside-down Christmas thinking. The joy, the good news, the Jesus still sometimes gets too mixed in with all the other "things" of the season, rather than being the reason.

But it sure has helped.

And when I get wrapped up in the other stuff, feel down about not having the perfect family gathering, bake my own treats, send out "real" christmas cards, or can't bring the exact gifts for the kids....I stop.

And I turn it all on it's head.

And focus on the only true joy. The best news. The perfect gift.

Jesus.

How do you keep Christ in your Christmas? I'd love to hear from you.

********************


And for the purpose of recording it here on the blog, here is our family Christmas card.

Merry Christmas friends and family.  I'm hoping you find true joy and peace wrapped up for you on this Christmas Day.

~Robin






No comments:

Post a Comment