Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Baseball and Life

I knew it was coming.

The last play in the last inning in the last game I would watch my Wildcat play baseball.

Even though I spent the last 13 summers watching the kid play ball, that last game sort of seemed to sneak up on me.

I remember when baseball was playing in the dirt, snacks and popsicles.

I remember when baseball was the post-season pizza parties.

I remember when baseball was little league and All-Star teams.

I remember when baseball was the first step in to high school.

I remember when baseball was a walk-off win. And when it was the 3rd-strike loss.

I remember when baseball was the deciding factor to come home after a semester away. When the Wildcat just wanted to play one more season.

And then one more game.

When I think of summer, I think of Wildcat baseball.

And summer won't quite be the same again.

Dear Wildcat,
It has been one of the greatest joys of my life
to watch you play the game.
Keep living your life like it is a 
3-1 count.
Don't be afraid to go after life's 
"first pitch"
Don't watch life go by
without taking a swing at it.
Remember that strike-outs in life
happen.
And any strike-out in life that you face
Just brings you one step closer
to the next
Home Run.






No comments:

Post a Comment