Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A New Decade

It's like I woke up one morning, and suddenly I was 40.

That day was yesterday. 

The night before the big Four-oh, I was tucking in the girls and saying prayers.  Probably the most memorable one came from the heart of Claire:

"....and dear God, please help mama's 40th birthday be the best 40th birthday ever....cuz she's probably gonna try to have a lot of 40th birthdays......"

What can I say, other than "Amen"?

I decided to start the day off right.  I woke the kids up and we ate cake and ice-cream for breakfast:

Not just any cake.
It is a Jeff's Market marble cake.  My absolute favorite.


I was so excited about eating this cake for breakfast that I forgot to make a wish before I blew out the candles.

This was the first of many things that would slip my mind on my 40th birthday.


Brian took the day off of work.
We took my van and ran a couple of errands. 
The van has been acting up on me; throwing out symptoms of choking and passing out.
But miraculously, the van ran fine while Brian and I drove around all afternoon.

Until I went to pick the girls up from school. 
She died in the driveway.

Apparently my van is haunted and only does this when I am the one behind the wheel. 
I will be checking the yellow pages for an expert in performing vehicle exorcisms.

My evening was spent in West Liberty at a track meet. 
My opinion on this is that we should not be going to track meets when the wind chill is a factor in the temperature. 
That's just me.

In getting ready, I decided at the last minute to change my jeans into my football-season jeans....the ones that I can wear another pair of pants underneath. 
2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of gloves and 5-shirts-and-a-windbreaker later, we headed off to West Liberty to watch these girls at their first outdoor track meet.





 
 ...but not before we had to borrow money to get in to the track meet.

I forgot that my money was in the first pair of jeans I was wearing.  

In other super-exciting things I did on my 40th:
I shopped at the Dollar General store to buy some ingredients to make my own cleaning solutions.  
I have been wanting to do this since I moved last fall.  

It's true, I live on the edge. 

I also spent the day talking Brian's ear off.  At one point, I was telling Brian a story and right smack dab in the middle of it, I thought of an unrelated question and then couldn't remember the story I was telling him to start with.  

Huh.
Where did that thought go?

All in all, my 40th was a day that I (hope) will always remember. 

But it's okay if I don't.  Because I will probably celebrate it again next year. 

"Amen."

2 comments:

  1. Happy, Happy 40th Birthday, Robin!! Make it your birthday week!! Keep on celebrating!!
    Love~
    Kim Fisch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Robin! What a way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete