Sunday, June 24, 2012

"How Would You Give Back?"

I recently posted a question on my facebook page that went like this:


"If money were no object, how would you give back to your community, church, school or in general?"



I didn't get a huge response, but those that did all said they would give back to children, the financially needy, orphans, or people who needed clothing, food and other resources.

I posted this question because, quite honestly, I was just curious. 

I think about this alot....how I would "give back" if money, time and resources were not an issue.....

I think it is a natural thought for everyone, every now and then, to think something like "If I had millions, I would do this and this and this....and I would give back like this...." 

I have friends who give back in ways that are nothing short of miracles for those they minister to/befriend/give back to......

But these same people are not "giving back" because of the millions they have in their bank accounts.

They are giving back because of their heart.

And sometimes....that actually costs them. 

But I have never met anyone more happy.....than those I know who are "giving back" because that is what they feel called to do.

And there are many people and organizations that I have had the priviledge of meeting through personal experience, or writing about them for the Quad-City Times, or just purely by accident who are making huge differences in the world we live in....because they are willing to roll up their sleeves and do what they have been personally called to do. 

Are they saving the entire world?

No.

Does God call any one of us to save the entire world?

No. 
(isn't that a relief?)

Does He call us to contribute in the ways we are wired to give....in order to make a difference in our world?

I believe He does. 

Will it change the world?

Maybe not by "wordly" standards.

But you never know when "giving back" in any small way that you can
will
actually
change
somebody's
world.


I have been priviledged to
meet people
write about people
and become involved with people
Who are all doing small things in the world they live in
That pour into the lives of those around them.

And it is inspiring to me. 

It actually leads me to ask questions like:

How does God want us to "change the world?" 

Do you ever not "give back" because you don't think it will really make a difference?

Are you waiting for "enough time"
or "enough money"
to give back
to your own community
church
school
or circle of influence? 

You are not alone. 
I'm right there with you.

My own story is that I always thought you had to have the right
degree
or money
or name
in order to truly make a difference.
And I also thought that in order to make a "real difference"
You had to have some sort of huge effect....
....so everyone knew it
for it to matter. 

That, quite simply, is just not the truth.

And it isn't even biblical:

..."The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for ONE of the lest of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"

Go read Matthew chapter 25.
That verse above is Matthew 25: 40.
The bolded emphasis is my own. 

The word "one" is sort of significant, don't you think? 

I do.

I can't tell you everything that I want to say right now...cuz you would just get bored.
But there are issues that keep me awake at night
And I am going to do what I can to make a difference....
....not to the whole world.
But it might just help someONE's world. 

And these things actually echo the response that I recieved on my facebook post.

So I know that I am not alone in wanting to give back in these ways.

Does it matter that I live in a small community? 

Nope. 

EveryONE matters. 
 

1 comment:

  1. SomeONE's world. EveryONE matters. I love that. Precious ~ that ONE beating heart. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete