Saturday, August 3, 2013

Mama always told me this would happen

And now I know.

I'm guilty of putting my kids on a pedestal.  Forgetting that they are, in fact kids.  Human beings who mess up, disappoint, think like kids and not adults. 

Yesterday I was accused by one of these kids for not understanding their point of view. 

And I held firm that I did understand, but as the parent will follow through with the consequence that was laid out ahead of time.  No surprises.  Simple cause and effect. 

And the kid tried to make me feel bad for doing so. 

And OHHH how I wanted for the kid to just understand my point of view.  

Then I had like a 25 year flash back. 

It was me.  With my mom.  
Of me trying to make my mom feel guilty for not respecting the fact that I was a good kid and should be treated like an adult. 
Of me and my small vision.
Of me being disrespectful.
My mom not understanding me and me not understanding my mom.

Until now. 

Now I get it. 

As I was thinking and praying this morning for wisdom to know how to talk to my teen and the strength follow through, I had a sad feeling.

Sad about how I must come off to God in certain situations.
Trying to convince Him that I am a good kid.
That He must not understand my point of view.
Rationalizing.  With God, no less.  

I wonder if God feels as disheartened as I do today when He has to follow through with a consequences laid out for me when I am disobedient, or in this case, just plain old disrespectful. 

I wonder if He just wishes that I could see things from His point of view.  That we could flash forward about a quarter of a century so that I can look back on this day and say....

....oh yeah, I get it now.  

So as I am praying for wisdom and strength this morning, I am also asking forgiveness for acting like a teenager.

And as soon as I am done praying, I'm gonna go call my mom.

 
Train up a child in the way he should go;
    even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6






No comments:

Post a Comment