Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Another Quick Update on Nathan (and some things i learned through this whole thing)

First things first--he is in school for a few hours this afternoon.

If you only knew how important this was for the Wildcat.

He would have skipped right on into the school if I had let him.  But he isn't cleared by his hematology/oncology docs to do any skipping, galloping or running just yet.

But you can tell by the look on his face that he is skipping on the inside.

(gosh he is so dang cute)

So....for the update:

He had his blood drawn and worked up yesterday.  He will have to do this once a week until they tell us to stop.  The counts that they are looking for showed an improvement.

(Yeah! for blood transfusions!  It's working!  Go donate blood!)

His counts are not up to "normal," yet, but it appears as if the blood transfusion is doing what they want it to do.

We will keep reporting for the blood work-ups, go back to the University in a month, and then follow-up with another bone marrow biopsy in 3 to 6 months. It's still alot of medical follow-up that we have to to, but Nathan doesn't seem to care.....

.....because he is back in school today.

.....and he is imparting his political views on anyone who will listen....and especially those that won't listen.

(I feel the need to send him to school in a t-shirt saying This ad may not have been approved by Nathan's mother yet.) But I totally support him.  It's hard to argue with a 15-year old that I sing bedtime songs to...and yet he knows more about the political world than I do.

***********************************

So, there are a couple of other things I have learned in this last week:

I am totally good in an emergency situation.

I can call 911, report facts, watch surgical procedures being done on my kid, and take care of business.

I can do all of this without breaking down.....
....at the time it is occurring.

I've had a couple of emotional breakdowns this last week.

Both of these have occurred AFTER we were out of the dangerous woods called "waiting-for-a-cancer-test on-your-kid."

And both times I was (and still am) just physically and emotionally exhausted.

So here is what we know about Robin:  If she is tired and hasn't had a chance to cry about it yet....she may cry when she goes to the bank and talks to the bank teller while making a deposit.  It has nothing to do with money.....even tho there could be a case for crying about money at the bank.


LESSON #2 that I learned:  When I have to go to the hospital in an emergency situation for any of my kids that happens in the morning , there is one thing that I will step away for before the ambulance gets to the house:  a bra.


The other think I have learned revolves around everyone reading this:

You all have been great.

And supportive.

And caring.

And supportive.  And great.  And caring.

Thanks for the messages.

The truth is, I don't think that I should accept offers of help with meals and visits etc. because we are home and I have issues with pride and all of that business.
 But I do know that I need it.

So when you stop by with a meal
Or to visit and share a glass of wine while we tell stories that have been going on this week.....
....let me tell you, it is very therapeutic to all of us.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment