Thursday, March 24, 2011

Job and Hobby....which is which?

Sometimes the people closest to me do not really know what I'm writing.  Or that I'm writing

That's because they see me working at a local coffee shop. 

And maybe think that writing is my "hobby."

That's okay to think that. 
But the truth is that the coffee shop job is officially my hobby.

Because I make more in freelance writing than I do at my day job.

Don't get me wrong; I make pretty good change for the amount of time that I work at the coffee shop. 
And I openly admit that I cannot afford to have a "hobby" that doesn't pay. 

And good business practices tell me that I should be spending more time on the things that pay more. 

But I like people. 
So a "hobby" that pays
And lets me be around people
Is still a good investment of time.

(Plus, also, I'm a pretty good cook. And I can handle big crowds.  I think that being a foodie and parenting may perhaps play a key role here.)

"The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion.  He hardly knows which is which.  He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing.  To him he is always doing both." 
~James Michener



2 comments:

  1. Do you work at your "hobby" everyday? I need to stop in and check out your cooking!

    ReplyDelete