Friday, July 29, 2011

Chocolate Candy and Biblical Concepts..."Can't Outgive God"

I hate the word "devotions."  So I try not to use it.  But I totally love it when I come across an idea that is fun AND illustrates a biblical truth.....
....an idea that I can share with my kids.

It's even BETTER when the idea involves chocolate. 

Here is what we did. 
(idea came from "Creative Correction" by Lisa Whelchel.)

The Wildcat was playing a game.  In another room.
The three girls were with me. 

I gave each of the girls a handful of M & Ms.
(yum)

Claire was told to go to Nathan (aka: the Wildcat) and give him ALL of her M&Ms.  And hang out a while with him while he ate and come back in a little bit.  "And bring the brother with you."

Marisa was told to eat ALL of her M&Ms.

Tookie was told to hold on tight to her handful of M&Ms.  Until Claire and Nathan came back.

We chatted. 
Hung out. 
The kids wondered what in the world their crazy mama was up to this time. 

When Claire and Nathan got into the living room, I had Claire cup both hands together and gave her twice as many M&Ms as she gave away.

I told Tookie she could eat her M&Ms (finally). They were still M&Ms....but they were smooshed and she had to sort of lick her hands clean.  She was okay with that.

Here's the gist of it:
"If we live with our hands open, giving to others, God will continually give back to us by the measure we use to give away.  If we think only of ourselves, we recieve limited blessings.  And if we hoard what God gives us, we may lose what little we had in the first place." 

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you.  A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Give this a try with your kids.
If you don't have enough kids to illustrate....have the first kid go give a handful of candy to some kid who lives down the street.
Or call me.  I can donate a couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment