Sunday, July 17, 2011

Class Reunion

I have gotten used to saying things to the kids that start out with the phrase:

100 years ago, back when I was in school......

Last night I went to my 20 year class reunion. 
For some reason it was harder for me to say "20 years" than it is to say "100."

(might have something to do with how i seem to cope better in the land of make-believe??
kidding, of course)

At any rate, I got to the reunion sort of late becuase I had a wedding in the afternoon and a baseball game at 7:00.
But I knew I had to go becuase I just have my grandmas voice in my head scolding me if I don't. 

(grandma H. grew up in Nebraska. every year her and grandpa would head back to their hometown for the reunions. she was always disappointed when the local people wouldn't show up because they were all used to seeing each other. but when people come from out of town...they want to see the locals too!
this is the speech I would hear from her every year when they used to make these trips...)

So I went.  Got there at 10pm....which is getting pretty close to this old girl's bedtime, I might add. 
It was a fairly small group that showed up from the class of '91.
And with the band playing, my old ears had a hard time keeping up with the details about families, kids, jobs, etc. 

And then there was the tiny hint of insecurity that I felt about how I was going to present myself as being wildly successful after 20 whole years. 

It went something like this: 

I had kids and I got old.

What I didn't say was this:

All the dreams and ambitions that I had 20 years ago got thrown out the window when 2 lines showed up on the EPT.
I devoted myself to a some new dreams, 4 of them to be exact. 
These dreams are now 14, 13, 11 and 9.
Everything I have ever learned goes into supporting these 4 dreams of mine.
And as they grow, their dreams become my own.
Following these young dreams in their sports, their school stuff, their friend stuff and all the other stuff 
Is like following my heart. 

I had kids
And I got old

And I am so glad that I did.


So what do you think?  Would that have come off as being "Wildly Successful?"

No comments:

Post a Comment