Thursday, August 18, 2011

Opening Day of the 2011-2012 School Year

I dropped 4 kids off at 4 different entrances at school today.



Tookie was first.  On her first day of 4th grade, she almost lost her homework that was given out at open house.  When I dropped her off, I told her I loved her and she said something like
Mom...just go.

Nathan's door was next in line.
His first day of high school. 
I got one of those sick/nervous feelings in my stomach as we got closer to his door. 
I wanted to stall or do something to keep this moment from happening.
I wondered if he wanted me to go in and help him find his locker or something. 
I wondered if he wanted me to homeschool him.
I wondered if he would want a hug before he left for high school. 
We pulled up to the high school entrance and he said
Okay, bye mom.

Marz was next at the Jr. High doors. 
She is loving the idea of being top dog in this wing of the school.
I didn't have much time to think of anything clever and inspiring to say to her as we pulled up.
But she didn't want me to, anyway.
She said:
Mom...don't embarass me.



Then it was Claire's turn.
Middle School.
As soon as Marz got out of the car Claire tells me she is nervous.
I start pointing out some people I recognize for her to stand by. 
She reaches up and grabs my hand and gives it three squeezes.
This is our code for:
I Love You
Mama loves you too, Claire-Bear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment