Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Golf/Life

Admittedly, I do not know much about the game of golf.  I feel it is necessary to say this right away before you get all caught up in my new and expert opinion about the sport.

And when I say "expert," I mean that I went golfing once as a teenager when I was tagging along with my grandparents who wanted to impart their love of the game on me. 

I thought it would be a good opportunity to work on my tan.

As an adult, but still several years ago, I went along with my son who has a genuine love for the game.  He was still young enough that he needed a parent or "responsible adult" to go along.  I supported him in his sport.  While I worked on my tan. 

(and you read the title to this post and thought it would be deep and rich with philosophy!)




Yesterday the Wildcat golfed in his first home meet.  As a member of the varsity.

This was not something taken lightly for him.  There are several members on his golf team.  He is a freshman.  To be counted as a varsity member was not something that was an "automatic" position.  He had to work for it.  And he may not keep it.  It is understood that this position can vary week by week and meet by meet. 

Last week he golfed varsity at a tougher course than he is used to.  As far as personal goals go, he rocked it.  As far as team goals go, he impressed those he golfed with.  It was a tougher course than the home course, and he was pleasantly surpised  completely hyped up about doing as well as he did. 

Yesterday, the Wildcat had the home course advantage.  He felt confident.  He couldn't wait for me to be there, and have the camara in hand.  I had very clear instuctions that I was to follow him and take pictures, but not follow too close...
...and not ever speak out loud to him
....and to be as invisible as I possibly could,
while taking fabulous photos of him participating in the greatest game ever played.

Okay.
I can do that.
I can be professional
and Mom
at the same time.
...for the most part.



It seemed like things were going well for his first few holes. 

But then there was a bad hole.

A really bad hole.

I was there, and it seemed like it was a bad hole for everyone.  The wind and hazards all seemed to work together against everyone on this hole.

But.

That bad hole got to my Wildcat.

He lost his cool.

I'm not an expert on the game...and I already told you that....but I could tell that my kid was not over the last hole when he teed off for the next one....

....and the next one. 
 
But...the "rules" I had were that I was not to speak to the Wildcat unless spoken to.

And this makes sense, since I admittedly know nothing more about the sport than it is a good way to work on your tan. 

But then he came up to me and asked me....specifically...."do you have any words of encouragement?"

I did.

I don't know the sport, but I know my kid.

"Slow down.  You are  walking through the putt.  It looks like you are already decided that your effort won't be good.  But you are good.  Slow down.  See it.  Feel it.  Do it.  Don't walk through it." 

So that is what I wanted to say.  But it didn't come out that good while I was there. 

And I don't really know if he wanted to know what I thought anyway.  Because he knows I don't know anything about the sport. 

He did not do well at his first home meet.

I have pictures that look good, but won't load here, for some reason.

He stayed later than anyone last night to work on chipping and putting. 

And he didn't say it last night, but I think he agreed with my assessment. 

Poor kid. 

He has nothing more than to go with the wisdom of someone who thinks HIS sport is just a great way to work on a tan. 

But I think it is also a good way to look at life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment