Tuesday, June 1, 2010

So Here's What I Want to Do...

So there is this thing that I want to do.

And I'm gonna get a chance to do it.

I've been coresponding with GROW Ministries based out of Illinois for a few months about this.

(GROW stands for Godly Restoration and Outreach for Women)

I want to take a bold stand against domestic violence.

I want to write about it.

I want to speak out about it.

I want to educate parents about it. (teen dating violence)

I want to help those going through it.

It is important to me.
As a woman.
As a mother.
As a christian.

The statistics are staggering.
When you read numbers like 1 in 4 here, or 1 in 3 there, or every 9 seconds over here.....
these numbers are a tragedy when you think about it in terms of:
1 in 4 women in MY church
1 in 3 teenagers in MY school
or
every 9 seconds in MY country


This week I will be assisting a woman in obtaining an order of protection against her husband.

While I cannot disclose who, what, where or when.....I do want to say that she is probably just like somebody you know or just like somebody you are.

She is a mother.
She is primarily dependant on her husband's salary.
She is a church-goer.
She is well-kept....doesn't fall in to the stereotype you would think a victim of domestic violence
looks like.
She is afraid.
She is controlled.

She is not alone, but she thinks she is.

There is help.
But most people are too proud to ask for it.

I want to help these people.


****************

So with this in mind, I am trying to find a job that I can do....to pay the bills....and still allow me to take care of my family....

....and to advocate for victims of domestic violence.



Anybody want a massage?

No comments:

Post a Comment