Friday, May 13, 2011

Bye-Bye Blankie

So.....

Last night my baby girl came down the stairs holding something behind her back.

And she looks up at me with those serious eyes.  The kind of look where her head stays sort of straight, but her eyes look up.

This was some serious cuteness.
And I knew I was in trouble.

And she says in a determined voice:
Mama.  I think it is time.

And she pulls her blankie from behind her back and tries to hand it to me.

Me:
No Tookie.  Not Blankie.  Please don't tell me you are giving up blankie!  This is a joke.  You still want your blankie, right?!!

Tookie:
MO-OM.  I don't want to be like...30 and still have a blankie!!

Me: 
But tookie.  You have a good 20 years till that happens.  Surely you still want Blankie for 10 or 12 more years....right?  I mean really.  There is no need to give up on this too soon.

Tookie:
Mom.  It's time.  I don't mean to hurt your feelings or anything.  If it makes you feel better....I will put Blankie on your stone when you die or something.

Me:
Oh. 
Thinking....cute how she is trying to make me feel better. 
Not effective, but cute.

So last night I got to snuggle with Blankie. 
Because Tookie no longer needs her.
Blankie is now mine. 
Oh how I wish she still wanted Blankie. 

That determined voice she used to tell me she didn't need Blankie anymore had nothing to do with being unsure of her decision, and everything to do with standing up to me about it. 

She is growing up so fast. 

I'm afraid to look away and turn back and all of the sudden.....
.....she is 30

1 comment:

  1. Shhhh. my Nikki still sleeps with hers and I feel the same way you do about it. Maybe when you know for sure she is giving it up, you could have it made into a teddy bear for her. There is a woman here in town that makes amazing teddies from special memories. It would be so special...For now, keep snuggling with it.

    ReplyDelete